
So apparently people think I have an accent. I do not know why they say this. I talk and sound just like everyone else.
It is becoming a pet peeve of mine when people mock the way I say things... or when I use a colloquialism they haven't heard before!! Below are some examples of things I say/have said that people mock (bastards)
1) "Squoze"- this is the past tense of the word SQUEEZE. I do not care that the modern day English people say that the correct conjugation of this word is "squeezed". That just sounds STUPID! "I SQUOSE it and nothing came out."
2) "creek"- When I say this word it sounds like "Crick" CREAK is what the floor does when you walk across it. A CREEK (Cr-Ick) is what I played in when I was child. I went through elementary, Jr. High, High school AND college and NO one corrected me. So... suck it.
3) "Snarly"- This is what happens when you have long hair. Some people all it tangled whatever I was taught the proper phrase was, "My hair is snarly." This is what I still say. Also, when your hair has knots in it.... those are SNARLY bugs. Yes I know they are not REAL bugs.
4) " Get your Goat." This is a fave old saying of mine. I remember the day Shawn asked me why I say this... he thought I said it because I actually have a goat and I would be bothered if someone took it. Here is the history of this phrase http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/10/messages/1015.html
5) "Lean on your own breakfast" My parents say this to us when we lean on them. I said it at the studio and everyone looked at me like I was speaking Greek! I looked it up and according to the Dictionary of American Regional English, "Lean on your own breakfast" means: To sit up without leaning on another; to rely on ones self, don't lean on me. Apparently this is a really old fashioned saying but ya it has meaning. So there!
6) "Pants"- Several people have said I say this funny. They say I pronounce it like(PAY-ANTS). I think I sound just like everyone else.
7) Milk- Ok I KNOW I say ME-lk. I dunno why I do this I just do.
There are just a few examples of things I say that people do not understand. It is not MY problem they are so stupid :0)
1 comment:
I have to add my comments onto this because I speek similar (must be the Lehi).
Okay the sqouse vs sqeezed.... Seth gives me the hardest time about it, but I like SQUOSE.
He also makes fun because I say mElk not mIlk, but I don't even notice it!
Love your blog I will comment more often so you knew I was here!
Post a Comment